Several posts ago, I promised you guys that I’d do a review on Six of Crows. First of all, I want to say that the cover is gorgeous. And we all judge a book by its cover (whenever we want it or not).
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can’t pull it off alone…
A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.
Kaz’s crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first.
So first of all, I was kind of scared getting into this book because there was a lot of hype surrounding it and I really didn’t want it to be disappointment. AND IT DIDN’T!!! God, now I know what all this hype has been about.
I have to admit that it took me time before really getting into it which is the only reason why I gave it 4.5 stars and not 5 stars, but after a 100 pages or so, I was so hooked that I wanted more!
This is actually the first book of Leigh Bardugo that I ever read and I have to say that I’m really impressed.I never read a book about a heist before so that was very interesting to see and I want to see more of that in other books.
Every six characters going on this heist are so different from each other, but at the same time, it’s what brought them together. They all have a particular skill that it needed to succeed, but they work so well together. I’m going to be explaining more in details in the spoiler-y section, so that I won’t spoil any of you who haven’t read the book yet.
Another thing that I loved, it was super action-packed since the beginning to the end. So much happened and it was just incredible. Overall, I really recommend it to any of you because it’s so entertaining and it keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way. Such a worthy read!
Kaz is an extraordinary character who keeps surprising me so much. He is dark, mysterious, evil, immoral and cunning, but I love him. And with his backstory, my heart is just craving and breaking for him. He has been through so much, with his brother and all, and I kind of understand him more now. I understand how he became like he is now and so excited to see what’s going to happen in the next book for this special character.
Inej is one of the best female character that I ever read about. Loved her since the beginning. At first, I thought she had a power or something but turns out that she’s just really quiet. She’s such an inspiration; I mean, she just doesn’t give up (yes, I’m talking about the scene when she was climbing the incinerator with her melting shoes!!!). Prayer to god: Please let her be okay in the next book.
Jesper is my bae. He just knows how to make me laugh even in the worst moments.
“Well, we managed to get ourselves locked into the most secure prison in the world. We’re either geniuses or the dumbest sons of bitches to ever breathe air”
Also, Jesper and Wylan are my OTP!!!! Love them!!!!!!!!!
“Wylan drew himself up. “I may not have had your … education, but I’m sure I know plenty of words that you don’t.”
“Also the proper way to fold a napkin and dance a minuet. Oh, and you can play the flute. Marketable skills, merchling. Marketable skills.”
“No one dances the minuet any more,” grumbled Wylan.”
Nina is also one of my favorite female characters of all time!!! She is so sassy and I loved her from the beginning! She fights for what’s right and for her people. She’s such an inspiration. I also love her relationship with Matthias. I loved how they knew each other since way before and they were still struggling with their feelings about each other.
“Matthias locked the cell door and hurried down the passage toward Nina, toward something more.”
- The little visit in Hellgate
- Matthias killing those wolves: My heart really broke for him!!!
- Matthias trying to kill Nina: Honestly, I was really confused because I didn’t know that they had a love/hate relationship. So I just thought that he was crazy…
- Kaz coming to save Inej when she was injured: God, I’m a romance addict!!!! But I love them so much together.
- Kaz practically removing the eye of the other guy and throwing it off board
- All of their backstory
- Nina and Matthias teaming up to kill the scientific: To be honest, I didn’t really know what to think because I wanted what’s right to be done but I didn’t want them to turn against Kaz and the team.
- How they managed to get into the most secure prison in the world
- Finding out that Jesper is a fabrikator
- Kaz going after Pekka Rollins
- Inej not giving up in the incinerator even though her shoes were melting
- Matthias rescuing Nina when Brum tricked her
- Jesper killing his own kind: IT so broke my heart
- Kaz thinking about Inej and trying not to drown: Why don’t they just kiss already?
- Inej, Wylan and Jesper coming to save the others with a tank
- Nina took the Parem to be able to save the others
- Kaz not telling Inej what he felt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point yelling “KISS ALREADY!!!!!”
- Wylan has the appearance of Kuwei: I loved how Jesper was like “Wait was it you who was sitting next to me every time?” and Wylan goes “yep” ❤ ❤
- INEJ IS CAPTURED BY PEKKA!!!!!!!
My babies better be okay in the next book!!