Hey guys!!! So as promised, today I’m going to be reviewing Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas (well, it will mostly about my thoughts that a review but anyways).
First of all, you guys are know that the throne of glass series is one of my favorite of all time because there’s so much characters development and action-packed with a little bit of romance. What’s not to love? Anyways, I love this series so I was definitely excited for Queen of Shadows. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint. Everything was absolutely perfect and even now (three months after reading it), I’m still having trouble to write a proper review. So this review is going to be divided by two. The first part consists of my thoughts on general (without spoilers) and the second part will consist of the parts I loved or the parts that scared me (anything that brought any kind of feelings). I have a feeling it’s going to be long so let’s get started!
Here are my reviews of the other books in the series:
The queen has returned.
Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she’s at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past…
She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.
She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen’s triumphant return.
The fourth volume in the New York Times bestselling series continues Celaena’s epic journey and builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.
**Do not read if you haven’t read the first three books in the series**
I want to say that Queen of Shadows deserves all the stars of the universe. Sarah J. Maas made an amazing job with her story. The characters’ evolution throughout the series were spectacular and you go through their journey with them and come out as a whole new person too. I can’t say too much without spoiling some things so this non-spoiler section will be very short. Things I liked in this book:
- Action-packed: Since the beginning until the end, the story is full of action and a lot of things happening at the same time. It kept me at the edge of my seat.
- Characters’ evolution: Every single character in Queen of Shadows are evolving. They are not the same people they were at the beginning and will never be again because of what they have been through.
- The reunions: Since Heir of Fire, I was waiting for all the reunions! Not going to much in details because I don’t want to spoil anyone.
- New characters: Well, it’s not really “new” since they were introduced in Assassin’s blade which is the novellas combined in one book, but for those who did not read it, there are some awesome new characters that are introduced.
**Also I really recommend reading Assassin’s blade before reading Queen of Shadows because there is a lot of insides that would be clearer if you read the novellas. It is just an option though, if you don’t want to read it, then don’t.
Did anyone have chills whenever you read “Aelin Askryver Galathynius” because I did. Sarah made sure that at the end of the book everyone would not say “Celaena” anymore, but “Aelin”. And she really pointed out that Celaena and Aelin are two different person.
First of all, I want to talk about DORIAN!!! The first chapter of this book is about Dorian being trapped within himself because of that monster and he keeps forgetting stuff. I. JUST. CAN’T! It was heartbreaking how Dorian (someone who never did anything wrong, who only wanted to protect the ones he loved, who is too good for this cruel world) was struggling alone.
Then, there is Aedion who was in prison and was near to death. He even wanted to kill himself by being sick. I was so glad when Dorian/the valg prince visited him and at the end told everyone to cure him for his execution because then, Aelin saved him!!!! Which by the way was epic.
CHAOL CHANGED SO MUCH!!! Ok now so if you read any reviews out there in the world on Queen of Shadows, you would hear the same thing because it’s so true. Unlike the others who grew in a more mature and stronger way, Chaol decided to not trust anyone (especially Aelin) which honestly is kind of realistic. I mean, his best friend is trapped because of the king who he thought was good and he was so loyal to the king since the beginning so I kind of understand why he acted that way to Aelin. He doesn’t know where to turn and starts questioning everything. I understand that but what I don’t understand is how he accused Aelin of all the bad things that happened. She just decided to save her entire kingdom, what did you expect? Already having an army to go to war (even though Rowan is the only soldier a girl ever need 😉 ).
Before anyone asks me, I don’t know if I ship Nesryn and Chaol. I just want my baby (Chaol) to be happy. And get his legs back…well technically he has his legs but he can’t control them so…yeah.
I’m not going to go in too much details about some scenes I want to talk about because there are way too much.
- Reunion between Aelin and Chaol: Didn’t go well, but nonetheless very important to the plot.
- The meeting with Arobynn: I was so stressed during all of this interaction because I didn’t know what Arobynn was going to do and I was freaking out. And at the same time, I wanted Aelin to kill him already (rest in peace Sam)
- The “Aedion rescue”: This scene was one of the most epic scene ever! Especially how Aelin was going to kill Dorian (thank god she didn’t)
- Aedion’s and Aelin’s reunion: I practically melted when it happened. It was just so amazing how the two of them could talk to each other so openly even after all those years. I had a warm fuzzy feeling!
- Rowan’s arrival: There are no words to describe how I felt
- When Aedion learned about the blood-oath: I was so crushed for him and I just wanted to hold him into a hug.
- Arobynn’s death: A happy moment for everyone
- When Manon made Dorian remember his name: And that’s how my ship started!!
- Aelin telling Manon she killed a witch: *Facepalm*
- Aelin’s and Manon’s epic battle: YAS YAS YAS!!!
- “WITCH KILLER- THE HUMAN IS STILL INSIDE HIM”: I had to close the book for a few minutes after that.
- MAGIC IS FREE: I literally got chills and couldn’t stop freaking out! Magic is finally free folks!!!
- Chaol “died”: Sarah J. Maas got me….I really thought he died and my heart broke in tiny little pieces but then we discovered that he was just paralyzed and I was relieved!
- DORIAN IS FREE: Amazing
- Aelin is finally home: I got chills!!! I want the next book now!!!
Thanks for reading 🙂 I did my best to represent how great Queen of Shadows is and I hope you enjoyed it. Tell me about your thoughts in the comment below!!!
Follow me on: