Book: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2)
Author: Rick Riordan
Year published: 2006
Genre: Young adult, fantasy, adventure, Greek mythology
Rating: 5/5 stars
Ever since I finished the first book in the Percy Jackson series “The lightning thief”, I have wanted to read the sequel which is “Sea of Monsters”. I can tell you that it did not disappoint at all. So today, I’m going to be reviewing and discussing about this amazing book.
**This review contains spoilers but I will put a spoiler alert before so you won’t get spoil, but if yo haven’t read the first book, I suggest not reading this review**
Here is my review on the first book: The lightning thief| Review and Discussion
And here are some quotes that made me laugh so hard: Sea of Monsters quotes that made me crack up
The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan’s amazing young readers series.
Starring Percy Jackson, a “half blood” whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan’s series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book’s drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.
There is no words to express how much I fell in love with this series. Rick Riordan knows exactly how to entertain his readers with actions that make you at the edge of your seat and with unique and amazing characters. These characters are such an inspiration to everyone out there! Percy, who is the bravest and who would do anything for the one he loves (even though there is a high probability that he could die). Annabeth, a super talented girl who is way too smart for her age. Grover, who is always here for his friends no matter what. I just love this trio so much.
As usual, the humor keeps surprising me. I think that these books are one of the most funny books I have ever read. I just love the sarcastic replies of Percy. It adds so much to his character and makes me even more eager to read these books.
I never found this book boring or not entertaining. I wasn’t expecting something so good after the lightning thief and was totally blown away at how much I loved it. I really don’t know why it took me that long to read this series. Seriously, I’m totally in love and already starting the next book (which I’ll probably finish tomorrow). No shame there!
Fortunately, I didn’t watch the movie before reading the book which I thank the gods for!!!! (Did you get my joke? Hahaha okay, I’m stopping now). I can totally get why some fans are outraged about it. If you read the books, you can absolutely agree that the movies suck. Now I’m not happy to say it because those wonderful books deserve wonderful movies but I’m glad that they stopped after the second movie.
Such an entertaining read that everyone should absolutely read!!!!
So now the spoiler section!! First of all, let’s talk about how funny it is that Grover was going to marry a cyclops. I mean, it was totally ridiculous, but genius. I would just kill to see him in his wedding dress!! Like I said before, I loved the humor in this book! So much more entertaining!!
To be honest, at first I was kind of suspicious about Tyson. I personally thought that he was playing dumb and at any time become a monster (before we knew that he is Percy’s brother). Fortunately, that doesn’t happen and I was startle when we learned the truth about his identity. Also, I understood why Percy was embarrassed at first. I mean, even before he got pick on and with a cyclops for a half brother, he got even more bullied. So embarrassment is a normal thing to feel, but I’m really glad that he got over it and now would do anything for his brother.
Also, can I talk about how much Clarisse was dumb!!!! Not only is she mean to Percy, but she just keeps putting them in danger during the quest. When she got captured by the cyclops, she tells him that Grover is a satyr….I mean….that’s just pure stupidity. And when she kept yelling at the cyclops and ruined the “escaping-without-making-a-sound-so-the-cyclops-won’t-hear-them” plan.
My favorite scene (which was very hard to pick by the way) was when Percy gave Clarisse the fleece and the money to go back at the camp. This part just made me tear up because this scene shows exactly how good of a person Percy is. It was also really funny when Annabeth was like “Are you insane?”. I just loved it!!!
What was YOUR favorite scene?
- At the beginning, how Annabeth just saves the day: I was super pumped during the dodge ball attack and I loved the fact that Annabeth came to save the day.
- The revelation about Tyson: It was funny how different Tyson’s and Percy’s claiming were so different. When it was revealed that Tyson was a son of Poseidon, it really gave me chills.
- Percy’s meeting with Hermes: In the first book, I wasn’t a great fan of gods. They seemed so distant and cold. Hermes is actually one of the first gods that I liked. And the snakes were just so freaking cool.
- Percy turning into a guinea pig: It made me laugh so hard!! Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Percy but it was just so random and funny that I just loved this scene. Then, Annabeth realizes that Percy was turn into a guinea pig and fights Circe. Just epic! And how they stole the pirates’ ship.
- Annabeth’s “dream” with the sirens
- The whole battle between the heroes and the cyclops
- Tyson coming back to save the day: Now, let me tell you! I knew that he wasn’t dead!!!! Knew it, knew it, knew it!!!
- Thalia coming back: I thought something had gone wrong with Annabeth, but thank god she’s alright. But HOLY CRAP!!! Thalia is back! That just opens up a lot of new possibilities!!! Like, is she sixteen yet? Will she betray the heroes and go to Luke? Because I could sense like they have a history.
Have you read this book and if yes, what did you think about it?